info from Gary Lyte Options
scott
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:18:36 PM
Groups: Member

Quote:

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:06 PM
To: scott katarincic
Subject: RE: Charles Bloom/ Ernest Richter geneology

I just found your website. I am the Great Grandson Of Charles Bloom, grandson of Matilda Bloom Draves, son of Eleanor Draves Lyte. I am awe struck by the pictures and information you have. I have been working on family genealogy and finding your website was like finding the mother-load.

I tried to enter you guest book and also subscribe...but it failed for some reason. I have a few pictures I can share etc. and would be happy to send them if you let me know how. Hope to hear from you
scott
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:19:10 PM

Quote:

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:13 AM
Subject: RE: Charles Bloom/ Ernest Richter geneology

I forgot to tell you that my name is Gary Lyte (ellilight is for email I am on facebook too) Here is a picture you don't have. First picture is Johanna and Matilda(In white) Is the lady in black Selma?...could be. Little girl on the left is Eleanor Draves (My mother). I remember Mena, Mildred and Annett as I was raised by Matilda and Charles Draves and we had a lot of contact with the great aunts and Uncles. Mena was a favorite of mine (But not the brothers) I spent summers up with Bill and Albin, later in 1946 Matilda & Charles Draves moved to Esky and I did my sophmore year there. I believe I have bumped into someone who has info about Emma. Everyone always talked about emma as she was a favorite. Emma Married a Knute Swanson, had 3 kids and the family parished in Coer D'Alene, Idaho during the flue outbrake of WW1..will send more later

scott
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:20:12 PM

Quote:

Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:49 AM
Subject: More about the Blooms

The first picture Eleanor Draves (my mother) is in front and is unmistakably her. Behind her Is Ivan Draves. Ivan had blond wavy hair and was 4 years younger than Eleanora. The kids might have been up visiting during the summer. I don't know who the larger boy is but I will guess it is one of Selma's. Looks like the two pictures were taken on the same day.

Ivan was Tillies first born...an accident with a man named William La Fountain. They did get married a few months after Ivan was born. Ivan took Charles Draves name and used it most of his life. On9/2/1909 Tillie Married Charles Frederick Draves and they raised me until I was 16. My mother Eleanor(Eleanora actually) was born April 4th, 1910. I dont know anything about the Draves family except Charles had two sisters and was born in Abrams, WI

I have some emails out seeking information about Emma through husband Knute Swanson kin. A picture of Emma would round things out nicely. By the way Emma was the oldest so she predates Bill. And, I remember (I think) my grandmother saying that two of Johannas babies died and it may have been on the trip over here from Sweden. The stories I remember was that after they sold everything they could only afford passage on a cattle boat. It was a sailing vessel that brought cattle to Europe and then picked up imigrants to bring back to the US. My understanding is that it was filthy, people were sick, and some of them died on the way to America.
Grandma told me that Charles worked in the sawmill in Ford River, they spoke Swedish and that she went to Escanaba to do domestic work with a family so she could go to high school. She had Ivan out of wedlock when she was 17, so that might be another reason she was in Escanaba.

I had been writing about the family in story form. I have great memories of my great Aunts and Uncles and loved them all. With this new information and pictures I will start my story over. Anything else that you have that isn't posted would be great. Thanks for all your hard work....looking up this information takes time and a lot of patience. Gary

scott
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:44:23 PM

Quote:

Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:00 PM
Subject: More about the Blooms

Here is a picture from 1946 at Uncle Bill and Aunt Alma's log house. As Bill worked at Pullman Coach in South Chicago he and Alma would vacation in the summer. At the time of the picture Charles & Matilda Draves had retired, moved from Portage WI to Escanaba. I moved with them as they had raised me since I was four years old. I loved it when Bill and Alma came up and family members gathered together. I am standing on the left with the bicycle that I rode out to Ford River from Escanaba. I did this many times and would go to the farm to see Mena and Nibby, and also spent time with Albin hunting and fishing. When Bill and Alma came up north I would stay at their house.

Also in the pcture next to me is Aunt Alma, Uncle Bill Bloom, Ivan Draves (Matildas first born), Albin's wife Tillie, Matilda 'Tillie Bloom Draves,, Charles Draves and Albin Bloom. Ivan's wife Louise was taking the picture.

A person named Walton Peterson was looking for Knute Swanson and Emma Bloom who had moved from MI to Coeur D'Alane Idaho around 1910. Four children were listed.: Theodore 1897, Clarence 1899, Roland 1903 and Knue E. 1905. Got any ideas who this person Walton is? The inquiry was in Jan 1999. I couldn't find anything further.
I would love to see a picture of Emma as I was constantly told that my mother looked just like her.

Your work is appreciated as my son is interested in the pictures that you have of the Blooms and their offspring. He and I had been working on the genealogy of his mother's folks. We never know who in the future will be looking at all this because they wondered where they came from and where are their roots. Thanks again, Gary Lyte

scott
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 12:11:20 PM

To: annbelk
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:03 PM
Subject: RE: Blooms

Nice to hear from you. My mothetr had a bar and restaurant from 1945-1947 and I was living with her for two years before moving up to escanaba and back with my Grandparents. I remember you and your mom. I believe Mildred would visit Mena and also stop by to see Tillie. I may have ridden out on my bike to see Mena and Nibby and bumped into Mildred. I always knew Mildred had a daughter but don't remember your brother! Living with Matilda we made many trips to visiting Mena, Albin, and Bill through the years. I am writing a genealogical/historic story of the family. I am turning 79 so it is time to get things written down as far as I can remember them. My grand kids are in their thirties and asking questions now that they are making babies.

I wondered about the name Bloom myself especially after living in a Jewish neighborhood in Chicago. But by typing an absolutely Swedish name like Olof Bloom a lot of people pop up on the Ancestry website with scandnavian first names. Did Charles have a middle name? What port of entry did they use? How did they get the land. I would like to have enough information to trace them back to Sweden. Were they naturalized? I haven't joined Ancestry or contacted the Mormons yet and will let that go until I get what I already have straightened out. Maybe you can help, and when I finish I will send you a copy.

I wonder about Selma's boys, especially Harlan and his offspring. I met him and his kids but where is that family now and do they have any pictures and information? I don't remember Dorance.

Sending you a picture of my mother and Tillie about 1948

I am living in Penn Yan , NY which is in the finger lakes area. We still have snow on the ground and I am wondering if spring will ever come.

Gary Lyte
Subject: Blooms
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 07:50:59 -0400
Dear Gary:

I think I remember you from Chicago but then memories are deceiving. Did your mother have a bar in Chicago? I thought we went there for food and to see Eleanor. I remember her as having Blonde hair.

I had always assumed that Bloom was a Swedish name. When I moved to Florida, I met a man named Sam Bloom. When I said my grandparents were named Bloom, he said to me you aren't Jewish. I said No that they were Swedish in Escanaba.
He replied down here they are Jewish.

I call my mother and told her the story. She said the Blooms were originally named Carlson and probably when coming to this country, there were so many Carlsons, that they took the name of one of the inspectors.

Did you ever hear this story???

Annette Sprague Katarincic
scott
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 12:12:33 PM

Quote:

Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 6:44 AM
To: Scott Katarincic
Subject: Re: email

YO BRO, YES THIS IS STILL MY EMAIL ADDRESS. I'M GETTING YOUR EMAILS ON BLOOMS. I REMEMBER GARY AND HIS MOTHER WHEN THEY VISITED UP IN ESCANABA. I WAS STAYING WITH MENA IN THE SUMMER
AND REMEMBER GARY AND WOULD SOME HOW STEAL A CIG. FROM SOMEONE THERE AND SMOKE IT ACROSS THE STREET IN A ALLY. LOVE DEE

scott
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:44:01 AM

Quote:

Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:02 PM
Subject: RE: Ernest Richter and Malvina Bloom wedding 1909

I was thinking' "Here we are playing detective with our ancestors pictures. I wonder if they are watching?" (LOL) I have the picture, but you have sent me a better copy..thanks. I always thought that Mena and Matilda looked a lot alike, they both resemble Charlie Bloom. I always heard, especially from Albin and Bill how pretty Emma was and that my mother (Eleanor) was a carbon copy. It's is amazing that Emma was talked about so often. A man named Walton Peterson posted an inquiry of the wareabouts of Knute Swanson (born 1887 in Sweden) and wife Emma Bloom who moved to Cour D'Alene Idaho from MI about 1910. I couldn't find anything on Walton or Walter Peterson but he sure did know who Knute and Emma were. Nice hearing from you Gary

scott
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:45:22 AM

Quote:

Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:20 PM
Subject: RE: possible Bloom pic

Many thanks...That's Matilda on the right, and she looks very young. It must be a picture that she already had and was sending it to Mom and Dad. The woman on the right is older and resembles Johanna (longer face.) I wish it was Emma but there is a very strong resemblance to Selma. Thanks for the pics and info. Gary
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:31:06 -0400

Hi Gary,
I found this in my records. It is a postcard sent to Mrs. Charles Bloom 08-10-1910. I suspect the girls are Bloom sisters. The one on the left looks the same as on Malvina’s wedding pic. I think it is Mathilda. The other I don’t know, possibly Emma. What do you think?

Scott

scott
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 9:51:32 AM

Quote:

Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:15 PM
To: Annett; scott
Subject: A little info on the Blooms

Johanna maiden name was Nelson. I locate info on Emma Sophia Bloom Swanson & Knute Swanson [dad:Swan Johnson Mom: Ingra Peters] in Kootenai Idaho. Emma was born 1879 in Sweden and immigrated with family in 1881. She married Knute at age 17 on Oct 24,1896 She died Nov 4,1918 age 38 in Coer D'Alene.
Their Children: Theodore (B1897), Clarence (B1899), Iona (B1901), Roland (B1902), Elmer (B1904), Knute E.(B1905).

Iona's full name was Iona Eleanora Margaret Swanson and she died Nov 10, 1918 On her death certificate Johanna Nelson is listed as her mother. Theodore died 10/9/1918 and many of the other children may perished around that time, all of this jives with the story I was told about Emma and her kids. I didn't know she had six!!!! A later census in 1930 shows Father Knute living with Elmer (Now25) and his wife Florence, none of the other brother & sisters seem to be around.

I believe my mother's unusual name Eleanora was derived from Emma's daughter Iona middle name. That poor girl had five brothers.

I am going to continue searching for Elmer & Florence and their family, if any.

Interesting tidbits on our family....Gary Lyte

PS I found mega amounts of Blooms that were Swedish.

scott
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 9:52:30 AM

Quote:

Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 7:44 AM
To: ellis light
Cc: Robert Scott Katarincic
Subject: Re: A little info on the Blooms

Thanks for the information. When I moved to Fla. I met a man named Sam Bloom and said my Grandma's name was bloom.

He said you aren't Jewish and I said of course not. I called my mother and asked why the Blooms in Florida were Jewish and in Escanaba they were Swedish. She said that is because their name was Carlson??? She felt there was so many Carlsons coming through Ellis Island that they took the name Bloom. So that is what I know and not sure of what is true or not.

Annette